Anybody can sympathise with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathise with a friend’s success.

Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them.

They were things for which it was impossible to prepare but which one spent a lifetime looking back at, trying to accept, interpret, comprehend. Things that should never have happened, that seemed out of place and wrong, these were what prevailed, what endured, in the end.

So many things I had thought forgotten
Return to my mind with stranger pain:
Like letters that arrive addressed to someone
Who left the house so many years ago.


Why Did I Dream of You Last Night

We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

You want a physicist to speak at your funeral
And you’ll want the physicist to explain to those who loved you that they need not have faith; indeed, they should not have faith
And he will tell them that the warmth that flowed through you in life is still here, still part of all that we are, even as we who mourn continue the heat of our own lives..

It is better, I think, to grab at the stars than to sit flustered because you know you cannot reach them.


Even if we could turn back, we’d probably never end up where we started.

They leave me and I love them more.

I’m only interested in stories that are about the crushing of the human heart.

Think you’re escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.

You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything… affects everything.

People are islands,’ she said. ‘They don’t really touch. However close they are, they’re really quite separate. Even if they’ve been married for fifty years.

I felt that I breathed an atmosphere of sorrow.

You have one hour to live.
Who is it, exactly, you have needed
all these years to forgive?

I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may again touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey-castle sequence of bumpings-into and tumblings-apart.

Some birds are not meant to be caged, that’s all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out past you. And the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them in the first place rejoices, but still, the place where you live is that much more drab and empty for their departure."

Sometimes I wish I had never met you. Because then I could go to sleep at night not knowing there was someone like you out there.


581 notes

Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.

I mean, most people don’t taste that kind of love.
At least I tasted it once, right?


She stays lost in the middle of her own world somewhere. We can’t get in and she doesn’t come out.




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz